Thursday, July 11, 2013

TODOs Application for BlackBerry PlayBook

Randomizer and Psy Yourself were not my first apps to be published on the app market.

It was back in spring of 2012, while I was an intern at Research In Motion (now BlackBerry Ltd.), they had this event where anyone who created a legitimate application for BlackBerry PlayBook would receive a free PlayBook. So, my co-worker at that time, who was an intern and a friend, informed me about this and told me that I should create something. At the time, my experiences with creating applications were minimal and thought that creating an application will be a long and tedious task. But, my friend gave me an idea and how it can be implemented quickly. That idea happened to be a TODO application where users can input the list of tasks/things that they need to do. This will allow users to easily keep track of things and also having it on a mobile device allows them look at them wherever and whenever they want as long as they have the device on them. He even showed me an example of this TODO app on the web and the tools I can use to get this task completed.

The tools I used were jQuery, jQuery mobile, and using BlackBerry WebWorks to package it into BlackBerry PlayBook app. I was new to jQuery, but after spending time on it, searching through the web and getting help from my friend, I got the hang of it. As for BlackBerry WebWorks, I was actually a software developer on the BlackBerry WebWorks team, so because of my familiarity with it, I did not have much trouble using it.

After a week of hacking away, during work (don't worry I had no work assigned to me at the time =D) and after work at home, I finally completed the app where the basic core functions of the app were working. Once, it was tested and noticeable bug fixes were done, I submitted online hoping that I will land myself a BlackBerry PlayBook. The verification process took a bit longer than I thought, but I finally received an email indicating that I was eligible to receive a PlayBook. So, within the week my PlayBook shipment arrived.

Overtime, I have made improvements by making changes to the user interface and major fixes that users encounter. So far, there were not that as many downloads, but the feedbacks from those small number of users has been positive! Currently, I have no intentions on improving it any further as there are many applications on market similar to my TODOs application. Some being poorly created, while others are exceptional. In the meantime, feel free to try it out!

Link to TODOs on BlackBerry World HERE!!
You can even view the source HERE!!

Enjoy!